The Arsenal is located between the Faculty buildings and the river Sambre. It was built in seven months between 1692 and 1693, during the time of the great sieges when Namur played an important military role. Vauban, a military engineer of Louis XIV who participated in the siege of 1692, was put in charge of the construction of this building.
At the time, it served as a logistics centre and as a warehouse for supplies and fodder. It was bought by the University of Namur in 1977 and restored by one of the most talented Belgian architects of the time: Roger Bastin (1913-1986).
Rue Bruno, Namur, Belgique